We have two, state of the art Water Treadmills.
We have two state of the art underwater treadmills at our centre. Both of which have dual entry/exit doors and foot placing sections on either side of the belt so that our qualified hydrotherapists can join your dog within the treadmill for added reassurance and support.
Treadmill work is great for encouraging correct flexion, extension and placement of all four paws in a controlled manner. The water is filled to the desired level depending on both the breed and size of the dog but also to suit the desired resistance required from the water to aid the exercise.
Treadmill exercise does have a degree of weight bearing however due to the warm water it is still very beneficial towards pain management. It is extremely useful in the rehabilitation of those with heart and respiratory problems that would find the pool work to intense.
Hydrotherapy can make improvements in:
- Relief of pain, swelling & stiffness.
- Muscle strengthening, bulk & maintenance.
- Increased range of motion in joints.
- Impovement in circulation.
- Alleviating muscle spasm.
- Cardiovascular fitness (heart & lungs)
- Increased speed of recovery & tissue healing.
- Increased proprioception & gait modification.
- Weight Loss.
The conditions we commonly help and treat are:
- Hip and Elbow dysplasia – especially useful for young dogs who are restricted to lead exercise
- Patella Luxation
- Osteoarthritis (DJD) primary and secondary to developmental conditions
- Total Hip Replacement
- Femoral Head and Neck Excision (FHNE)
- Cranial Cruciate Rupture- TPLO/TTA/Lateral Suture
- Patella Luxation
- Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)
- Spinal Stenosis
- Intervertebral Disc Protrusion/Degenerative Disc Disease
- Fibro-Cartilaginous Embolism (FCE)
- Cervical Vertebral Malformation
- Spinal Injury/Trauma/Shock
- Neuromuscular Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathies
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Ligament strain
- Muscle strains/sprains
Canine Health & Hydro is a referral only centre, your Vet or Orthopedic Specialist must make your dog’s referral to us before your free assessment and taster session using the "Vet Referral" section of this website, this is a very simple process and should take no more than 5 minutes.
We are fully qualified and registered with the Canine Hydrotherapy Association UK.